Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Natty Top

I have about a dozen things I really should be working on before taking time to make new clothes, but I couldn’t resist!

I found a simple and flattering pattern on Pinterest, and the perfect knit fabric to make it in at Quilting Mayhem.

Natty Top PDF Pattern
Natty Top Free PDF Pattern

(Click the photo to be taken to the original site for the free pattern download.)

art gallery petal and plume knit
Art Gallery Fabric: Petal and Plume Knit

(Click the fabric photo to purchase online through Quilting Mayhem.)

The pattern calls for using a serger and/or a double needle. When I started making the shirt on Thursday evening I had neither. I quick trip to the craft store and I was able to pick up the needle Friday, and finish the shirt on Saturday morning. I love how it turned out!

natty top petal and plume art gallery


Nathan and I went out for a Saturday morning date to the Lake Stevens Aquafest craft show, and then met up with Grandma and Grandpa for lunch… so it was a perfect time to wear it and feel all fancy!

natty top petal and plume art gallery


Plus, I went to a bachelorette party Saturday night! It was my first time going to such a party, and I had a blast. I’m thankful to be meeting new friends here, and that I made my first shirt that fit and lasted through the night (and beyond!) so that is a bonus!

This evening I was going to make more progress on a quilt I’m working on for the shop, but my fashion fabric was freshly washed in the dryer, so it had to be dealt with instead. I decided to use the same pattern, but try to make it out of a non-stretch cotton fabric.

natty top non-stretch cotton fabric


It worked out perfectly fine. I’m thinking about letting out the seam a little bit on the hip, just enough for a little wiggle room, but still it isn’t to shabby if I may say so myself. In all reality, the shirt is finished. I can put it on and take it off without dislocating my shoulders so I will probably just leave it. I just won’t eat any Mexican or Chinese food when I wear it because there is no extra room.

Now I’m anxious to do more fashion sewing because Pinterest has provided me with another tutorial for a vintage inspired top that I really want to try next.

retro inspired wrap shirt tutorial
Retro Inspired Wrap Shirt Tutorial

(Click the photo for a direct link to the tutorial.)

I would have started this shirt tonight, but I’m about 5″ short on fabric! Thankfully, Quilting Mayhem carries the fabric I have planned for this shirt.

cotton and steel fabric tokyo train lawn
Cotton + Steel Fabrics: Tokyo Train Lawn

(Click the photo to buy the fabric online.)

I know octopus fabric isn’t everyone’s style, but I think it is going to be so cute when it’s done. I’m seriously developing a thing for steam-punky octopi – yeah they are a thing!

***Note to Self: Maybe I should do a round-up of octopi fabric on Spoonflower, because I’m already spending so much time browsing through it to begin with!***

Anyway, I have to pick up a little bit more of this fabric before I can start the shirt so in the meantime I guess I will have to focus on the things that need to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment