Friday, October 23, 2015

Color Play Friday: Dinner at the Vault

Here are the rules:
  1. Each week, one of us will select a picture from our joint Pinterest board. These are all pictures that one of us has taken on our adventures. 
  2. We each create a palette using colors from that picture 
  3. We then create a bundle of 5-8 fabrics that is inspired by that palette. They don’t have to be an exact match to our palette, and we can throw in contrasting or accent colors, but the bundle should look inspired by the palette. 
  4. We don’t see the other person’s palette or bundle before we both post on Friday. 
  5. That’s it! It’s going to be so fun to see what we each come up with.

Be sure to check out Lorinda and our new friend Steph!

If you would like to participate be sure to use #colorplayfriday in social media and you can also email me a link to your blog so we can include your posts. (inanotterlife @gmail .com) Next week’s festive photo is going to be at the end of this blog.

Edit: This is the only edit I’m doing to this post. I’m wrote it without rereading it because I was afraid of editing out the “knee-jerk emotions” I’m having towards this photo. I’m warning you now, it is long, and its personal -probably more than you wanted to know about me. It is also candid and written like I’m talking out loud which doesn’t always come with the best grammar. I just wanted to give you warning. I needed this as much as I spiritually needed to create this fabric palette and bundle this week, so I hope you approach this with an understanding heart and enthusiasm for the fabrics because I think they totally rock socks!

This week’s photo was taken by me! It was one of the great life changing moments that effectively brought me to where I am. I had recently separated from my husband (of almost a year) in the spring, and this photo was taken sometime around May and June when I was still trying to figure out what to do with my insane, crazy self.

I had just left a perfectly stable relationship and environment with a good guy to go out and do what? I had some ideas, but I didn’t have solid plan. At the time I was floating between friend’s houses, with my stuff scattered between my ex-husband’s place, my parent’s, my sisters’ places, and everywhere in between. I was a hot mess, but I was happy -or at least getting there because I was my own hot mess.

You see, even though my ex-husband was a good guy, he wasn’t the guy for me. We had dated for two years and decided to get married on our 2-year dating anniversary. It wasn’t a grand proposal or anything. It was a “hey we’ve been together two years, we’ve been living together most of that time, why not get married” type of thing. I’m not saying we didn’t have fun or that I didn’t enjoy his company, but there was no passion. Our relationship didn’t excite my soul and help me dream of the future -again I knew we would eventually have babies, those babies would go to a good preschool, they would grow up in a nice home etc. etc. but I wasn’t excited about it. I was doing it because I was 25, I lived in the South, and to hear my grandmother tell it, I was quickly approaching old maid or crazy cat lady age. So before things progressed any future I stopped it all.

I never wanted to be the girl who got a divorce, especially before even being married a year! But more than that, I didn’t want to be the old lady that grew up, had kids and a beautiful family, but didn’t know who she was because she let that person die a long time ago. I didn’t see myself being a cog in the wheel of society in the relationship so I got out before things got anymore messy than breaking life-time vow.

So once, out of the relationship what was I suppose to do? I wanted to live my life to the fullest and pursue my dreams. Come on Trina you shattered a sacred vow, you better make your life worth it…no pressure though. That first year after the separation was by far the messiest, weirdest, and greatest year of my life up to that point. I made so many good decisions for myself, and so many bad ones -like really bad ones -like a lot of them. None of them did permanent damage though so I was lucky.

This picture of my dinner at the Vault in downtown Tulsa, Oklahoma, was one of the good choices made close to the beginning of my adventure of deciding who I was, who I wanted to be, and what I was going to do about it. First thing first, I’m a girl, and a girl’s got to eat. So I took myself out to dinner.

I dressed myself up, and took myself on a date. I left my phone in my purse the entire time, except to take this picture to capture the moment, and I had a lovely dinner with myself. I ordered exactly what I wanted off the menu without worrying about the price or if it was share-able. Okay maybe I worried about the price for a moment, I mean come on I was newly single and I had quit my day job to run my own business about 6-months earlier, but I decided to live on the edge for the evening. I even ordered two glasses of pink wine even if they didn’t “go with” the meal.

It was a good night for me. I was by myself for the first time in my life, and I was coming to terms with being okay with being the only person who could take care of me -financially of course, but more importantly spiritually and mentally. After spending about $50 on that dinner and taking the time to do what I wanted for myself I felt so much better about my choice and my future. I mean, I’m pretty fond of myself. I have bouts of dark or grey times, but for the most part I’m pretty awesome happy and a pleasure to hang out with, if I may so so myself, so I felt good about being by myself and about starting this new phase of my life where I said yes to what I wanted rather than listening to other’s opinions. (Seriously as good of intentions my Grandma may have, I’m so glad she learned to cool it with the warnings of my ladies parts getting old and failing -hearing it since I was twenty-two has really done a number on me.)

Anyway, to the #colorplayfriday...

color play friday dinner at the vault


I love the soft, yet strong colors in this photo. The mood of the photo will forever remind me of the resolve I gained in deciding my goals and dreams were worth putting every ounce of myself into accomplishing. Its okay to be sad and full of despair while at the same time being hopeful and cheerful, that’s what this pictures means to me. To me the colors I selected feel peaceful and the fabrics have a light-weight playfulness to them. This palette was all about capturing the feeling of being strong (not fierce), be okay with myself and my nature, and being good with going forward to be who I am meant to be. That’s a lot of pressure to put on a photo and color palette, but I think it came through well. Don’t you?

The fabrics this week all came from Moona Fabrics on Etsy. I came across Sue’s business several times in the past week, so I spent the time going through all 58 pages of wonderful fabrics!

I had sent Sue a copy of the Vault photo when I let her know I would be featuring her shop, and she pointed out Joel Dewberry’s new Atrium line for my consideration. It is beautiful! I really love the Fuchsia color-way, and actually thought, on first look that it would work with my palette. (I actually had a couple of the pieces in the palette at first, but then the palette morphed when I found the Arctic Tree print so unfortunately, I had to bump the pieces)

Atrium in Fuchsia by Joel Dewberry
Atrium in Fuchsia by Joel Dewberry


Atrium in Mint by Joel Dewberry
Atrium in Mint by Joel Dewberry


Here are the fabrics I selected:



Last but not least! (One more Art Gallery Fabric because really one more never hurts!)

Millefiori in Light by Pat Bravo for Art Gallery
Millefiori in Light by Pat Bravo for Art Gallery

This fabric would be my backing or another companion piece in a heart beat. It captures the essence of how my soul felt the day of my dinner. It has the dark shadows, but also the opening and growing flowers. The pathway is open, and it is sprinkled with beautiful chances to bud and grow.

I’m so cheesy right now! Good grief! Seriously though, after a rough few weeks its good to look back and see how far I’ve come, and remember the strength I carry within myself. Its even better to remember that even when life kicks me down a couple notches I am exactly where I put myself and I put myself exactly where I want to be. No one twisted my arm, and I didn’t settle.

This “Otter Life” is where I’m suppose to be -when it rains, when its sun shiny, this is where my soul belongs and this is what I fought to win. So bless my own soul I’m going to get a bit emotional about it, probably going to throw a couple fits, but I love it and I’m at peace with who I am and where I’m going.

Okay, My Color Play Friday for this week is officially done! Better a little late than never!

Here is next week’s festive photo by Lorinda, to help get us in the Christmas mood.

No comments:

Post a Comment