Sunday, October 18, 2015

Fall Garland Tutorial

Last Monday I did my first Periscope tutorial. I was super nervous. I said “um” a lot and there was a bit of trouble with preforming tasks one-handed, but all in all I love it.

I love how real Periscope is, and how it forces you to just keep going because you are broadcasting live. I can’t tell you how much time I’ve spent in my studio trying to record parts of tutorials with the intent of editing them into perfection only to keep deleting after the first couple minutes because I was dissatisfied it wasn’t “perfect”. It is more important to enjoy your craft, and to share the knowledge with like-minded people than to have the lighting or hair style just right.

There my be those who will judge the “professionalism” of this tutorial, but I don’t care. I’m doing it for my friends, those who may learn from it, and for myself. If some people don’t like it I will just take some advice from Elizabeth Gilbert’s new book “Big Magic“….



So without further ado! The tutorial!

I found a leaf template on Pinterest, and made several copies of it for future projects.

You can find a direct link to the template on A Beautiful Mess’ blog.

I made the garland with fabric, instead of paper, using a raw-edge-applique technique, and decided to use Heat-n-Bond as my fusible since that is what I had on hand. (I also recommend Steam-a-Seam, I actually prefer it, but apparently I need to add that to my shopping list!) If I was making the garland for a mantle, rather and a window, I wouldn’t worry about it being reversible, and I would have just used a featherweight or lightweight interfacing to stabilize the the fabric.


What isn’t shown in the video tutorial is how to finish it. I was contemplating using a small hole-punch with ribbon, but it turned out easier to do a quick stitch through each leaf with embroidery floss. (I only used three of the six threads in the floss because trying to use all size proved to difficult…I couldn’t get the needle and thread through the fabric and fusible without creating a bigger whole than I intended.)

Here is the finished product! I love how it turned out, and it was so easy.



If you are in the Snohomish, Washington area and you would like to attend this month’s Pinterest Pin-Up Party to make this garland you can sign-up on the website. The class is $12 and it includes all the supplies you need! —Basically its the funnest, craftiest, and easiest two hours of your weekend!

Later this week (potentially even tonight!) I want to do another Scope Tutorial, either about paper piece or quilt basting. (Feel free to leave a comment for your vote!)

If you aren’t on Periscope yet, again, I urge you to download the app and sign-up. It’s easy, and the quilter/artist community is so much fun to interact with. You can find me there @anotterlife and on instagram (for announcements) @inanotterlife.

Now, since I woke up ridiculously early for a Sunday morning, I should probably get dressed and go do something creative!

No comments:

Post a Comment