Saturday, February 13, 2016

Postcard Tutorial

Sending fabric postcards through the United States Postal Service is extremely easy, and receiving them is a delight!


To make a postcard you will need:

4.5" x 6.5" front panel
4.5" x 6.5" back panel
4" x 6" stiff fusible interfacing (or double up on layers of lighter interfacing)

The front panel can be anything you would like! You can embroider, piece, applique, paint, or whatever else your heart may desire. Just make sure that everything is tacked down securely.


Create a sandwich with your panels right-sides out and the interfacing centered between the two. Pin into place as needed. (Pictured is the centered interfacing, not the sandwich.)


Using a zig-zag stitch, stitch around the outside closing all sides. I shorten the length and width of my zig-zag so that it is tight, then I stitch around two or three times, as needed.


Trim all your threads and double check that you caught both layers in your stitching... if you missed a space just run back over it really quick.


On the back, it is important that you write the word "postcard" across the top left corner or down the center (between the message and addresses). Then addresses and your message as you would on a normal card. Be sure to use something permanent. (I seriously need to get a fine tip sharpie!)

At the Post Office:

Let them know you would like to ship the postcard as normal postcard, and that you would like it to be "hand-canceled".

At my post office, the woman hadn't done this before so we kind of figured it out together. She placed the stamp as normal on the front of the card, then carefully used the rubber stamp to hand-cancel half over the stamp and half over the fabric. Then just to be sure she used a couple pieces of scotch tape over the stamp to help keep it in place.

I paid a whooping $0.35 and was on my way!

Then Lorinda received her happy mail just a few days later!!! All intact and super charming with the additional postal stamping on it.

Notes:

You could, of course finish the postcard a dozen different ways. You could use a stitch and flip right-sides out method or you could press your raw edges towards the inside and top-stitch. I chose to show this method because I think it is the simplest, plus I love the extra pop of color from the stitching. However, you choose to do it just make sure everything is secure.


On the last postcard I made I used striped fabric as the back panel to make it easy to keep straight writing lines. To help divide my message space from the address space I appliqued an additional rectangle onto the back panel before assembling the postcard.


No comments:

Post a Comment